Valentine's Day food is all about indulgence, right? I hope you agree with me on that point because this recipe is dec-a-dent. It's carby and cheesy and rich and creamy and so, so good. Honestly, the only bad thing I can say about this recipe is that your valentine is going to want you to share.
White Truffle Mac and Cheese
seen on The Curvy Carrot
originally from Leite's Culinaria
1 c. panko
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
1-2 TBSP white truffle oil (to taste)
2 TBSP unsalted butter
2 TBSP flour
2 c. half and half
8 oz. white cheddar cheese, grated
8 oz. Fontina cheese, grated
salt and pepper, to taste
8 oz. elbow macaroni (or your favorite short-shape pasta)
green onions, chopped, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F and generously butter or spray a 2 1/2 qt. casserole dish. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine panko, Parmesan and half the truffle oil. Mix until combined.
3. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk continuously until the mixture forms a thick paste, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in half and half until mostly smooth. Bring to a simmer and let cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
4. Slowly add cheeses and stir with a wooden spoon until completely melted. Add remaining truffle oil and salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to cheese sauce.