Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Amy's Buttermilk Cupcakes with Pomegranate-Cream Cheese Frosting

As promised, here is the recipe for the cupcakes I made for Amy's all-sweets baby shower yesterday.  I had such a great time putting it together and I was so glad to see so many of our blogging friends come out to show their love for Amy!

Amy is expecting a sweet baby girl in January, so I knew whatever I made had to be pink.  My first thought was raspberry but I couldn't settle on a recipe.  I searched cranberry treats, but nothing seemed quite right.  Finally, I remembered the bottle of pomegranate juice and carton of buttermilk in my fridge and everything came together.  A strange way to settle on a special occasion recipe, I know, but it worked.  These cupcakes were light and fluffy and the cream cheese frosting had just enough pomegranate flavor and color.  I only wish I could give Amy one in person!


Buttermilk Cupcakes with Pomegranate-Cream Cheese Frosting
cake recipe from epicurious
frosting recipe an "Apple a Day" original

Ingredients:
For the cake:
4 c. cake flour (not self-rising)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 sticks (1 c.) unsalted butter, softened
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
4 large eggs
2 c. well-shaken buttermilk
For the frosting:
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
12 oz. unsalted butter, softened
1/3 c. pomegranate juice
3 - 3 1/2  c. confectioners' sugar

Directions:
1.  To make the cupcakes, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place paper liners in approximately 30 wells of a muffin tin. 

2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the  butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in vanilla.  Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
3.  Reduce mixer to low and add flour mixture and buttermilk in 3 batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until just combined after each addition.

4.  Divide batter among muffin cups taking care to fill no more than 2/3 full.  (Batter will rise quite a bit and will make quite a mess if it overflows.) Bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of muffin trays halfway through baking, about 22 minutes, or until golden and a tester comes out clean.  Cool cupcakes on racks 5 minutes and remove cupcakes from cups.  

5.  Meanwhile,  place pomegranate juice in a small saucepan and boil over medium-high heat until reduced to 3 TBSP, approximately 10 minutes.

6.  When pomegranate juice is cooled, beat cream cheese and butter in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until creamy, about 3 minutes.  Add in reduced pomegranate juice and beat until just combined.  Add confectioners' sugar, one cup at a time, until frosting reaches desired consistency.  Frost cupcakes when cooled.  Will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

three years ago: pumpkin-pecan ebelskivers

7 comments :

Amber said...

Wow, these sound delicious. They look beautiful too.

Amy said...

That frosting sounds divine! Such a great idea for the Fall season. :-) And I agree with Amber, they're so pretty!

Pretend Chef said...

These look so delicious. The frosting sounds amazing. They look perfect for a baby shower.

That Girl said...

I really like the idea of buttermilk cupcakes! I probably would have made them pomegranate!

Mary said...

These are gorgeous and I'm sure they are as tasty as they are beautiful. This is my first visit to your blog, but I plan to return often. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I enjoyed the time I spent here.I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Kavi said...

The frosting looks perfect! Great recipe! Love your space.
-
Kavi | Edible Entertainment
Ongoing event: Healthy Lunch Challenge

Nicole Gamble said...

Great recipe ! I made it! It`s delicious!!! And it looks great , too!