Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Apple Cidercar

Cheers!  We've made it to Wednesday  How about a little cocktail to celebrate?

M is a fan of sidecars.  I love apple cider.  Thankfully, this drink combines the two into a perfectly balanced beverage.  Sweet apple cider, tangy lemon juice, and the warmth of brandy--what's not to love?  

I think this would actually be a perfect cocktail to welcome guests over for a fall party or even Thanksgiving dinner.  M and I both agreed it's a great "one drink" beverage just right for sipping and socializing.  These apple cidercars are also great from a hostess perspective because you can make up the entire pitcher and store, tightly covered, for a few hours.  This means the entire pitcher can be made the morning of your gathering and put out just as guests arrive. 
Speaking of Thanksgiving, Bon Appetit always has a truly gorgeous Thanksgiving edition.  Don't forget to enter for a chance to win not just the Thanksgiving issue, but an entire year's worth of delicious magazines by leaving a comment here and on every post Monday through Thursday.

 Apple Cidercar
adapted from Williams-Sonoma

12 fl. oz. fresh-pressed apple cider 
5 fl. oz. brandy
5 fl. oz. Cointreau or triple sec
2 fl. oz. fresh lemon juice

1.  Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker.  Fill the shaker with ice and shake well. Pour into sugar-rimmed cocktail glasses.  (I'd actually like to try this with a mixture of vanilla sugar and a touch of cinnamon.)  Serves 4.


That Girl said...

Posts like these make me so happy I can drink again.

Becki's Whole Life said...

This sounds so yummy and a perfect "one drink" fall cocktail! I love when a drink warms your tummy like brandy does....yum...I actually have some cider in my fridge...I wonder how this would taste warmed?

Suzy Q said...

I've always been a fan of an appletini...which probably has no semblance of apple in it, but who cares?

Thanks for a great giveaway!

tokyoshoes (at) hotmail (dot) com

Natalie said...

My husband has been on a huge side car kick, I'll have to tell him about these! Plus I love that you can make a big batch at once!

Taryn said...

YUM! I'm not typically a fan of brandy, but I had a cocktail with it this past weekend and it was amazing, so I'd love to give this a go as well!

Katie said...

Great giveaway, and this drink is perfect for the weekend!

All Things Yummy said...

Looks like a delicious cocktail.

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

I've never tried a Side Car, they sound very fall-ish and delicious!

Paige said...

Love your pretty gold-rimmed glass!

Lynsey said...

This drink looks delicious! I love apple cider and I've been searching for the perfect cocktail that utilizes cider and this is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

lindsay said...

Yum! Apples and alcohol. Perfect combo!

lifeandkitchen at

Christin said...

I'm always game for trying a new cocktail!