Monday, April 25, 2011

Meatless Monday--Strawberry-Banana Smoothie with Pineapple

Still full from Easter dinner?  Me too.  Ready to lighten it up?  You've come to the right place.  

M and I actually had these Saturday morning, after a short but sweet bike ride and a wonderful Easter weekend Brunch hosted by one of the partners at his firm.  We knew the brunch would be brimming with delicious treats, but we knew we didn't want to go without eating anything, especially after getting a pretty decent, albeit it brief, workout on the bikes.  Light and bright in flavor (and cute in color, too!), these smoothies were perfect.

Annie made strawberry-pineapple smoothies a while back and they looked so good to me.  Like her, I don't use a smoothie recipe, per se.  I just kinda have a general ratio of ingredients I adjust to fit the kind of fruit I have on hand.  I did learn a cool trick from her, though.  Annie says she freezes her fruit once she cuts it up so she doesn't have to add ice.  She said it makes for a more flavorful smoothie and I have to agree.  We really, really enjoyed these!


Strawberry-Banana Smoothies with Pineapple
adapted from Annie's Eats

Ingredients:
12 oz. low fat plain or vanilla yogurt
1 1/2 c. frozen strawberry chunks
1 c. frozen banana chunks (or one fresh banana)
1 1/2 c. frozen pineapple chunks
2 scoops protein powder (optional)
1/4 c. milk, if necessary

Directions:
Place all ingredients except milk in blender or food processor.  If mixture is too thick, add milk, a bit at a time, until desired consistency is reached.  Serve immediately.

three years ago:  salcicce arrabiata

6 comments :

Pretend Chef said...

Happy to hear you enjoyed your Easter weekend and what a great way to lighten up this week's menu. This smoothie sounds so delicious. Yummy!

That Girl said...

And if you're like me a lot of that fruit won't make it into the smoothie. I have such a thing for frozen fruit. Way better than popsicles.

USA Kiwi (Kylee) said...

Looks/sounds great!

Melissa Bakes said...

I made something similar to this last week and loved it! This looks great!

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) said...

This is exciting to me... It means that spring is really coming quickly! Hooray! I love smoothie season and these look like a perfect way to jump start things!

Happy Easter!

Annie said...

So glad you enjoyed these Kelsey. They are my favorite!