I first tried to find the perfect oatmeal raisin cookie recipe here. Then I tried here and here. Each time I got closer, but I can confidently say this recipe is the one.
Favorite Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
adapted from The Joy of Cooking
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 c. light brown sugar
1/4 c. vanilla sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 c. raisins
3 c. rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Prepare baking sheets with baking spray, parchment, or silicone baking mats.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugars on medium speed until pale yellow and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla. Beat until completely combined.
5. Add the flour mixture in two batches, beating on medium speed until thoroughly combined.
6. Stir in the raisins and the oats.
7. Drop the dough either in heaping tablespoonfuls or with a small cookie scoop onto the cookie sheet. Be sure to leave enough space between them. Spray your hands with baking spray and press down on the dough balls to flatten them slightly.
8. Bake until the cookies are lightly browned all over and almost firm when lightly pressed in the center. Bake for 8-10 minutes, watching closely.
9. Remove cookies from the oven and set on a rack to cool for approximately two minutes. Once cookies have firmed up, remove from the cookie sheet and place directly on the rack to cool completely.