I know, I know. I recently proclaimed myself a waffle lover and you're wondering how and why I've changed my mind so quickly. I haven't. I'm still a waffle girl. Even as a waffle girl, I enjoyed every bite of these delicious, light, and fluffy pancakes. The lemon flavor wasn't overpowering, which made them the perfect palette for a good helping of fresh berries. How could I find anything wrong with that?
Ricotta-Lemon Pancakesfrom Williams-Sonoma, Essentials of Healthful Cooking
1 c. part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 c. 1% milk
3 large eggs, separated
2 TBSP granulated sugar
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 TBSP grated lemon zest
pinch of cream of tartar
4 c. mixed berries
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
about 1 TBSP canola oil
1-2 TBSP confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Farenheit.
2. Place the ricotta in a large bowl. Add the milk, egg yolks, and granulates sugar and whisk to combine. Add the flour, lemon zest, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Fold until blended.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the egg whites and cream of tartar and, using a whisk or handheld mixer on medium speed, beat until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold the whites into the ricotta mixture until just blended.
4. In medium bowl, combine the berries and lemon juice. Stir gently to blend and set aside.
5. Place a large nonstick griddle or frying pan with low sides over medium heat. (Hot enough for a drop of water to sizzle and immediately evaporate.) Brush the surface with a thin layer of canola oil.
6. For each pancake, ladle a scant 1/3 c. batter onto the hot surface. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until small bubbles appear around the edges of the pancakes and the bottoms are lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until the other side is slightly browned, 2-3 minutes longer.
7. Transfer to an oven-proof platter and place in the oven to keep warm. Do not cover the pancakes or they will get soggy. Repeat with the remaining batter.
8. Just before serving, dust pancakes with confectioners' sugar. Serve berries on the side. Makes 12 pancakes.