Wednesday, August 18, 2010

31 While 31--Salsa Verde

I put salsa verde on my list of thirty things to make while I'm thirty because M loves it.  The funny thing is, though, he meant tomatillo salsa when he told me he wanted me to find a salsa verde recipe that would become out go to.  Good thing this traditional salsa verde was AMAZING.  I served it over beer-marinated flank steak and boy was it a hit!  Lucky for us, we had leftovers to put over scrambled eggs the next morning.  In the end, I don't think M minded the little mix up.


Salsa Verde

Ingredients:
1 c. packed fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves
1/3 c. packed fresh basil leaves
1/3 c. packed fresh mint leaves
1 garlic clove
2 tsp. capers, soaked and drained
1/2 anchovy fillet (optional)
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more, to taste
1 TBSP red wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 

Directions:
1.  Roughly chop the parsley, basil and mint and transfer to a blender. Add the garlic, capers, anchovy (if using), mustard, red pepper flakes and the 1/2 cup olive oil. Blend until the mixture is smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute, adding more oil, if needed.

2.  Pour the mixture into a small bowl. Stir in the vinegar and season with salt and black pepper. Makes about 1 cup. 

one year ago: chicken and black bean quesadillas with warm corn salsa

4 comments :

Natalie said...

I JUST made this awesome mexican salsa verde bake that we loved...wish I would've seen this recipe first, I would've made the salsa verde from scratch!

Rebecca said...

Oooh capers! Love that addition! It looks healthy and fresh. Love it!

All Things Yummy said...

Looks delicious. I'll definitely be trying the recipe.

laurasrecipecollection.com said...

I loooooove salsa verde but I've never found a recipe that can compete with my favorite Mexican restaurant's version. This one looks great! I'm going to have to give this a try!