Friday, May 28, 2010

Crunchy Asian Cabbage Salad

On the cooking board I frequent, we get a lot of questions about non-mayo salads for picnics, barbeques, and other outdoor events.  Let me tell you, people, this one would be perfect!  It's fantastically easy to put together, packs a great flavor punch, and stays crunchy for quite some time.  Sounds perfect for summer, doesn't it?!?

Crunchy Asian Cabbage Salad
adapted from Good Things Catered

1 small head cabbage, sliced thinly.
1 carrot, grated
6 green onions, sliced and dark green ends discarded
2 TBSP cilantro, minced
1 1/2 TBSP reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 TBSP freshly grated ginger
1 1/2 TBSP rice vinegar
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. lime juice
1 small can mandarin oranges, drained
1 TBSP sesame seeds

 1.  Combine all ingredients in large bowl and toss well to combine.  Place in fridge and let stand at least one hour.  Before serving, toss once more.

one year ago: spiced nuts
two years ago: one of my all-time favorite cupcake recipes, key lime cupcakes with white chocolate-coconut frosting


Cate said...

This is totally my kind of salad...I will probably make it this weekend!

Rebecca said...

I love the mandarin oranges in this salad :) I will definitely try this out soon (if not this weekend)!!

Kelsey said...

this would go so well with so many meals! great job! <3

Sandi said...

that looks great...I think I am going to make it this weekend!!

Jessica said...

Great recipe! I love mandarin oranges in my salads. This would be great with some crunchy Asian noodles on top.

KMAYS said...

Yum! This sounds so light and fresh.