These muffins are my spin on that delicious ice cream. I added coconut to the flavor mix Ben and Jerry have already perfected and...WOW! These were great. If you're looking for a healthy muffin, this isn't it. In fact, they could almost be dessert. But for a once-in-a-while sweet breakfast, they're just right.
heavily adapted from www.epicurious.com
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. sweetened flaked coconut, divided
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. walnuts, toasted
1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin cups with liners.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together bananas, butter, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, 1/2 cup coconut, chocolate chips, and walnuts in a medium bowl until combined well, then fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened.
4. Divide batter among lined muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 23-25 minutes.
5. Transfer muffins to a rack and cool slightly. Yields one dozen muffins.