adapted from www.epicurious.com
3 c. all-purpose flour
zest of one lemon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2/3 c. well-shaken buttermilk
1 1/2 c. confectioners sugar
3 TBSP well-shaken buttermilk
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter 2 large baking sheets.
2. Whisk together flour, zest, baking soda, and salt.
3. Beat together butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until pale and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla.
4. Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in batches at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until smooth.
5. Drop level tablespoons of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are puffed and edges are golden, 12 to 15 minutes per batch. Cool cookies on sheets 1 minute, then transfer cookies to racks.
6. Prepare glaze by whisking together all glaze ingredients. Spoon onto tops of warm cookies. Let stand until cookies are completely cooled and glaze is set.