Whole-Wheat Pita Bread
adapted from Karen, of Loves to Eat
original recipe from www.recipezaar.com
2 c. whole-wheat flour
2 1/4 tsp. quick-rising yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4- 1 1/2 c. hot--not boiling--water (I used 1 1/2 c. because I live in a dry climate)
1-1 1/2 c. flour
1. Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl. Beat well about 1 minute.
2. Mix in the remaining flour, using just enough to make a soft, sticky dough.
3. Turn out on floured board and continue to knead for 5 minutes.
4. Divide into eight balls.
5. Roll out each one to about 1/4 inch thick and 6 inches in diameter. Place on very lightly greased cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal (although cornmeal is really not necessary if you don’t have it). Let rise in warm place for 25-35 minutes .
6. Bake at 450 degrees for 4-5 min. per side, or until lightly browned.
7. Wrap immediately in a dishtowel for 3 or 4 minutes.
One year ago: Greek Pizza for One