Spiced Molasses Cookies
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. freshly-grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
12 TBSP (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c. unsulfured molasses
about 3 TBSP raw turbinado or granulated sugar
Directions:1. In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and salt.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg and molasses.
4. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing until blended.
5. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 8 hours.
6. Preheat an oven to 350° F. Grease 2 baking sheets.
7. Place a large sheet of waxed paper on a work surface and sprinkle it with the granulated sugar. Using your palms, shape the dough into balls 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Then roll the balls in the granulated sugar, coating them evenly. Arrange the balls on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
8. Using the tines of a fork, press the fork into each cookie, pushing down to create a decorative top.
9. Bake until just set and lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on the sheets for 10 minutes.
10. Gently transfer cookies to racks and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Makes about 40 cookies.