Applesauce Spice Cookies
adapted from Gale Gand, "Sweet Dreams"
*Note: This recipe makes about 60 cookies. I've left the original measurements, but I halved everything when I made the cookies.
2 c. flour
1 c. whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. freshly-grated nutmeg
1 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. applesauce
1 1/2 c. raisins
powdered sugar, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients and set aside.
3. In the bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter. Add the brown sugar and continue creaming.
4. Add the eggs and applesauce mixing well.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients and raisins to make dough.
6. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat and bake until light golden brown, about 9 to13 minutes. The cookies do not brown very much.
7. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.