Another contribution to the "Muffin-palooza" muffin basket I brought to my school's first day back breakfast. These will be great for Fall.
Whole-Wheat Apple Walnut Muffins
adapted from Joy of Cooking
Whisk together thoroughly:
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. whole-wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
scant 1/2 tsp. salt
Whisk together in a large bowl:
2 large eggs
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1/4 c. sugar
Stir in and let stand for ten minutes:
1 1/2 c. packed coarsely grated peeled apples (about two medium), with juice
5 TBSP warm melted unsalted butter
1/2 coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a standard twelve-cup muffin tin or prepare with paper cups.
2. Add the flour mixture to the apple mixture. Fold in until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Do not overmix; the batter will not be smooth.
3. Divide batter among the muffin cups.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 14 to 16 minutes.
5. Let cool for three minutes in the pan before removing. Transfer to wire rack. Serve as soon as possible, preferably the day they are baked.