I brought these along with some margarita cupcakes to my staff meeting during the first week of school. They were a huge hit and everyone was so impressed with how adorable they look!
Pina Colada Cupcakes
shamelessly lifted from Katie at Good Things Catered
2 1/4 c. sifted cake flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. oil
2 large eggs
1/2 c. canned pineapple, diced and patted dry
1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
Splash of dark rum (optional)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Whipped vanilla frosting
1/2 bag of shredded coconut
Maraschino cherries, drained and dried
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with baking cups.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Combine rum and coconut milk in small bowl, mix to combine and set aside.
4. Place sugar and oil in mixer and mix until well blended.
5. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Add flour mixture and coconut milk mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
7. Stir in vanilla and fold in pineapple.
8. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Tap the pans once on counter top to remove air bubbles.
9. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
10. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks, and remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
11. When cupcakes are completely cool, frost with whipped vanilla frosting and roll tops in shredded coconut. Top each with a cherry and serve with cut straws for a fun presentation!