Greek-Style Turkey Burgers
adapted from Gourmet Magazine
1 recipe Lemon-Mint Tzatziki
1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese
1/2 c. finely chopped pitted Kalamata olives (12 to 15)
2 cloves garlic
1/4 c. bread crumbs (may not need)
whole wheat hamburger buns
2 small vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
1. Make tzatziki first so the flavors can mesh.
2. Prepare grill or grill pan over medium to medium-high heat.
3. Handling turkey as gently as possible, combine in a bowl with feta, olives, and bread crumbs, if necessary.
4. Form into six 1-inch-thick patties.
5. Season burgers lightly with salt and pepper to taste and grill on an oiled rack or pan. Cook nine minutes on each side for medium well doneness.
Ellie Krieger, The Food You Crave
3/4 c. plain Greek-style nonfat yogurt
1/2 large English cucumber, seeded
1 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 TBSP finely chopped fresh mint
salt and pepper to taste
1. Coarsely grate the cucumber. Drain it in a strainer for one or two minutes, pressing out the liquid.
2. In a medium bowl stir together yogurt, cucumber, oil, lemon juice, zest, garlic, and mint. Season with salt and pepper. Sauce will keep in an airtight container for three days.