So maybe it's a stretch to call these cookies breakfast. Whatever. They're awesome with coffee. That makes them breakfast to me!
adapted from Giada De Laurentiis, Giada's Family Dinners
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp. ground anise seed
2 large eggs
1 c. semisweet chips, for melting and dipping (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large, heavy baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar, and anise seed.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time.
5. Add the flour mixture until just combined.
6. Form the dough into a 16-inch long, 3-inch wide log. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 30 minutes.
7. Place the log on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut the log on the diagonal into 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch slices. Arrange cut side down on the baking sheet.
8. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Trnsfer to a rack and cool completely.
9. If desired, melt chocolate chips. Dip one end of cooled biscotti in the chocolate. Allow to cool completely in the refrigerator.
They make wonderful gifts!