A very easy and very yummy beginning to my Mother's Day menu. I was a little skeptical of the pre-made, refrigerated pie dough, but Bon Appetit recommended it. It worked out nicely, though I think I will make the dough from scratch next time. I would've loved to put a slice of grape tomato in the center of these, but not everyone in my family likes tomatoes.
I would highly recommend these as an appetizer to any gathering, casual or formal.
Mini Zucchini and Goat Cheese Tarts
Bon Appetit, June 2008
1 refrigerated pie crust (half of a 15-oz. package)
1 1/2 lbs. 1-inch diameter zucchini, cut into 1/16-inch rounds
1 tsp. salt
2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
2 tsp. chopped fresh lemon or regular thyme
3 oz. soft, fresh goat cheese at room temperature
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place pie crust on a floured work surface. Using 1 1/2 to 1 3/4-inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out approximately 24 rounds.
3. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing 1/2 inch apart. Cover and place in freezer for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight, until dough is firm.
4. Toss zucchini with 1 tsp. salt in medium bowl. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
5. Place zucchini in another medium bowl and toss with 2 TBSP olive oil and thyme. Sprinkle with pepper.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7. Spread goat cheese generously over each frozen round.
8. Fold three to four zucchini rounds in half and place in concentric circle atop dough round, creating a flower-like pattern.
9. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
10. Bake until crusts are light golden, about 20 minutes.
11. Transfer to serving platter. Drizzle with additional olive oil. Serve warm or at room temperature.