Wow, was this good! I love rice anyway, but this was really delicious. The flavors were delicate, but distinctive. I will definitely be making this again.
Basmati Rice with Sweet Onions and Summer Herbs
"Bon Appetit", June 2008
1. 1 1/2 c. basmati rice (approx. 10 oz.)
2 TBSP butter
2 c. chopped sweet onions (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla)
2 1/2 c. water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 TBSP finely chopped Italian parsley
2 TBSP finely chopped fresh dill
2 TBSP finely chopped fresh tarragon
2 TBSP finely chopped fresh thyme (not in original recipe)
1. Rinse rice under cold water until water runs clear. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
3. Add onions. Saute until translucent, about five minutes.
4. Add rice, water, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
5. remove from heat and let stand, covered, about ten minutes.
6. Stir in herbs. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Transfer to bowl and serve.