What makes this dessert so incredible is the topping. Who knew simply combining lemon curd and sour cream would have such a heavenly result? As an added bonus, I had some topping left over. It was a-MAH-zing on vanilla ice cream with fresh berries. Don't wait to make this. It is too easy and too delicious!
Lemon Angel Food Cake
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
6 egg whites
Pinch of salt
3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup superfine sugar
For the frosting:
1/2 cup lemon curd
1/2 cup sour cream
2. Sift the flour onto a plate, then stir in the lemon zest and set aside.
3. Put the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar into a large bowl and whisk until stiff but moist-looking peaks form. Gradually whisk in the superfine sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue whisking for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Gently fold in the flour mixture using a metal spoon and a swirling figure-of-eight motion. Pour into an 8-inch deep or 9-inch shallow nonstick angel food cake pan (there is no need to grease it first). Bake until the cake is well risen and golden and the top springs back when pressed with a fingertip, 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Turn the cake, still in its pan, upside down onto a cooling rack and let cool. As it cools, it will fall out of the pan.
6. To make the frosting, in a bowl, stir together the lemon curd and sour cream and spread over the top of the cooled cake.