Hands down...the best. Just ask my sister (the one who licked the banana cream pie plate). I've seen her eating two at a time--one in each hand! Yes, I'm very proud of her ladylike manners :-)
Williams-Sonoma, Savoring America
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar, plus 2 tsp. for topping
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. milk 1 egg, at room temperature
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 pt. fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line 12 muffin-pan cups with liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 1/2 c. sugar, baking powder and salt until well blended.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, egg, and vanilla until well blended.
4. Add the milk mixture, melted butter, and blueberries to the flour mixture and stir gently until just combined.
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, dividing evenly. They should be no more than 3/4 full. If desired, sprinkle tops with extra sugar (I like to use brown turbinado if I do this.)
6. Bake until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approx. 18--20 minutes.
7. Let muffins cool in the pan on a rack for five minutes, then remove and continue to cool on the rack.